After having so many ‘How To’ posts over the last few days I decided to do something different.
Thailand is a very beautiful country, parts of it are never seen by tourists or travelers and even now secrets are still discovered in abandoned temples. There is so much of this country that people just don’t know about so I thought that I would share a few of my favourite ‘little known’ titbits about Thailand.
1. Thailand means ‘Land of the Free’ and is the only country in South East Asia that hasn’t been colonized by a European nation
2.It is considered uncultured to place your bag on the ground. This is because both the floor and your feet are considered filthy
3. It is illegal to leave your home if you’re not wearing any pants
4. Thailand is one of the largest producers of pineapples in the world – good thing as well, as I LOVE me some pineapple!
5. The Miss Universe pageant has been won twice by Thai contestants; once in 1965 and once in 1988
กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตรโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยา มหาดิลกภพ นพรัตนราชธานีบูรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์มหาสถาน อมรพิมานอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยวิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์
6. Bangkok is the Western name for the country’s capital. It is in fact the longest country capital name in the world… Krungthepmahanakhon Amornrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharat Ratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amornphiman Awa-tarnsatthit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit. The name itself is a story about Thailand, when translated into English can be read as;
The Capital City of Angels, The Residence of The Emerald Buddha, The Great City of Impregnable, The Gracefulness of the city is steadfast and thriving, The Grand Capital which is abundant with The Nine Noble Gems, it is a Pleasant Capital, The City is abounding with the enormous Royal Palaces that resembles as the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated God, Home of the Gods Incarnate, which was Erected by Vishnu at Indra’s Behest.
7. Thailand has around 35,000 temples! Better get yourself some good walking shoes to see that all
8. One tenth of all animal species can be found in Thailand
That’t about 870,000 species!!!!!
9. It is forbidden to touch a Monk if you are a woman
10. The Beach starring Leonardo di Caprio was filmed on Phi Phi Island
If you fancy discovering more of Thailand’s secrets then you should take a look at the Starfish Website and the Starfish – Volunteer Thailand Facebook page for projects that will allow you to experience this amazing country yourself.
Build. Protect.Teach. Care. – The Starfish Motto